The University of Sharjah is considered a leading institution of higher education in the Arab Gulf region and Middle East. It offers a number of academic programs in a vast array of specializations, including the arts, humanities and social sciences, medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, health sciences, engineering, applied sciences, business management, communication, law, Sharia and Islamic studies, and fine arts and design. Endowed with a beautiful campus and world-class facilities, it attaches the highest importance to providing top education and a distinct university experience to its students.
As a part of the University's vision, it offers comprehensive academic and research programs at the diploma, bachelor, master, and PhD levels, which attract distinguished students from across the UAE, the Arab Gulf countries, and a number of other countries.
A perennial desert environment surrounds the University of Sharjah, located in Sharjah University City. Students, faculty and administrative staff engage in a wide range of year-round recreational, cultural and social activities both in the Emirate of Sharjah and throughout the Emirates since the University is located close to major cities and the beautiful coastlines of Sharjah, Dubai and Ajman.
The College of Communication, established at the University of Sharjah in 2002, now has an enrolment of approximately (1400) students, (1050) on the main campus in Sharjah and (350) at its branch locations in Khorfakkan and Kalba. The College is comprised of two academic departments: The Department of Mass Communication and Department of Public Relations. The Mass Communication Department includes three accredited programs (Journalism, Electronic Media, and Graphic Design and Multimedia) in addition to its Communication Program in English. The Public Relations Department offers one accredited academic program in Public Relations. The College also offers a master degree program in communication.
The College of Communication is distinguished for its high quality programs and outstanding faculty. The College witnessed important developments in its technical
infrastructure through the establishment of computer and multimedia laboratories in addition to press publication laboratories and radio and television studios.
The University of Sharjah is currently seeking to appoint a candidate for the position of Dean of the College of Communication, who will provide leadership at a critical stage of the College's expansion of its research and academic programs.
Candidates interested in the position are encouraged to apply early by sending their application as soon as possible.
For more information about the College, its departments, and the conditions for applying, please visit the University's website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae
Colleges at the University of Sharjah:
The University of Sharjah is an autonomous institution of higher education with an enrollment of 13500 students and a full-time teaching staff of approximately 600 faculty members. The University includes the following Colleges: Sharia and Islamic Studies, Sciences, Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Business Administration, Engineering, Health Sciences, Communication, Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Fine Arts and Design, and the Community College, in addition to the Scientific Research council which includes three research institutes and the College of Graduate Studies.
Scope of Work
The Dean of College of Communication is the first person in charge of all academic aspects related to the College and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The Dean assumes a leadership role in the College and administers, directs, and coordinates all training, teaching, and research activities engaged in by the College. The Dean also provides guidance for implementing the College Strategic Plan and ensures that the College activities coincide with the mission and objectives of the University within the socio-cultural framework of the United Arab Emirates and the Arab Gulf region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Dean is expected to:
- Create and sustain a strong network outside the College with the aim of facilitating the process of education and training and research activities.
- Establish strategic directives, aims and policies related to the educational process and research activities within the College, and all its departments and oversee the implementation of such.
- Represent the University in all matters related to the College at various conferences and symposia outside the University.
- Propose recommendations related to developing the annual budget for the College and implement and oversee these as well as conduct analysis of productivity and effectiveness on a regular basis.
- Create a network of experts and visiting professors to support the educational and research activities of the College and its sustainability.
- Propose recommendations related to developing University policies and procedures and participate in this process.
- Coordinate agreements with ministries and relevant bodies within the UAE and abroad.
- Possess knowledge of human resources and management concepts as well as higher education practices, policies, and procedures.
- Propose research projects relevant to the region and its development.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse community.
- Possess experience in communicating and networking with relevant institutions with the aim of promoting educationand research.
- Be an expert in matters dealing with external institutions and organizations as well as international accreditation bodies.
The ideal candidate shall demonstrate work experience in professional and academic positions as well a rich record in teaching and outstanding academic efforts at the international level. The candidate will be required to demonstrate his/her effective and ongoing contributions in the fields of his/her specialization in terms of published research in recognized international scientific journals as well as participation in exhibitions, conferences and symposia in addition to possessing the following degrees, qualifications, and professional experience:
- A PhD from a recognized university.
- The rank of professor in one of the College's specializations.
- A record of excellence in teaching and research, appropriate to the rank of professor in one of the College's specializations.
- Bi-lingual proficiency in English and Arabic conversation and writing.
- Leadership qualities and proven research background in one of the College's specializations.
- A clear vision for developing higher education, in general, and for the College in particular.
- Full familiarity with the credit hour and academic year (semester) system.
- Distinguished managerial experience in the affairs of higher education, preferably at the level of a college dean in a reputable university.
- Experience with the standards of program accreditation by specialized commissions at national education institutions.
- Acumen in the area of human resources and administrative and financial concepts, practices, policies, and procedures.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with large sectors of a diverse community.
- Experience in communicating with universities, professional and academic institutions, associations, unions, companies and business administration institutions and other institutions within the field of education and research.
Priority will be given to applicants with the following qualifications
- Managerial experience and the skills necessary to launch pioneering projects.
- Multi-cultural skills.
- Active participation in reputable organizations.
- Knowledge of the methods of evaluation and related matters.
- Proven documentation of offering support for the achievements of teachers and students.
- Understanding of the latest teaching methods, including the use of technology in the teaching process.
- Demonstration of an interest in the humanities and a commitment to enriching the educational experience of students.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and an excellent benefits package. For more details on the position, please visit our website at
Interested candidates, possessing the required experience and qualifications, are invited to send their CV and cover letter, together with the names of three references (including current or most recent employer), to the below address.
Applications may be submitted online or by postal mail to:
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Sharjah
P.O. Box 27272
Sharjah – United Arab Emirates