The University of Sharjah invites applications for the position of Dean of the College of Graduate Studies for the academic year 2016-2017. Applicants who meet the criteria listed below are invited to apply immediately. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will commence duties on August 15, 2017.
The University of Sharjah is a non-profit independent institution with a total enrollment of (15000) students (1100 graduate students) and (630) full-time faculty members. The colleges of the University are Shari'a and Islamic Studies, Arts Humanities and Social Sciences, Business and Management, Sciences, Engineering, Health Sciences, Law, Communication, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Fine Arts and Design, the Community College and the College of Graduate Studies. The main University campus is located within 30 minutes drive from Dubai International Airport and 10 minutes from Sharjah International Airport.
The College of Graduate Studies includes the sections of Graduate Studies, for Master and Ph.D, as well as a section for Graduate Studies Services. The College supervises and coordinates 20 Master's degree programs and 8 Ph. D programs. The University is also planning to offer several other Master and Ph.D programs in the near future. For more details about Graduate Studies please refer to the University website : www.sharjah.ac.ae
Scope of Work:
The Dean of the College of Graduate Studies reports to the Vice Chancellor for Research & Graduate Studies and coordinates all graduate studies activities of the University, develops, in coordination with the university colleges strategic directions and plans for the College, and with the Research Institutes of the university .
Duties and Responsibilities:
The appointed Dean is required to undertake the following :
- Leads and manages the College of Graduate Studies.
- Develops , oversees, and manages the college budget, personnel and resources.
- Recommends appointment of heads of sections.
- Monitors and follows-up the activities of the graduate programs at the different departments.
- Promotes and represents the Deanship at University level as required.
- Approves all decisions involving personnel and resources.
- Refers all relevant matters to the Graduate Studies Council.
- Makes an active contribution to the University's goals and strategic objectives in graduate provision.
- Plays a full part in institutional activities.
- Represents and promotes the interests of the University.
- Maintains high standards of graduate studies.
The applicant must:
- Be a Full Professor in one of the University fields at a reputable University.
- Have full command of spoken and written Arabic and English languages.
- Have demonstrable qualities of leadership and management experience.
- Have proven ability to foster collaborative efforts by building partnerships with national and/or international bodies.
- Have experience in managing graduate programs.
- Have the ability to articulate a clear vision for the future of the College and to develop and implement strategic and tactical plans.
- Have working experience in academic institutions that use the credit hour system.
- Be familiar with accreditation standards.
- Have occupied a significant administrative experience preferably at the level of dean or department chair at a reputable university.
The University of Sharjah offers competitive tax free salaries and excellent benefits package.
Interested candidates, possessing the required experience and qualifications, are invited to send their CV and cover letter, together with the names of three references (including current or most recent employer), to the below address.
Applications may be submitted online or by postal mail to:
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Studies
University of Sharjah
P.O. Box 27272
Sharjah – United Arab Emirates
Candidates are urged to send their application by email as an attached document. Those who are shortlisted will be requested to send sealed envelopes containing their official university transcripts.