The University of Sharjah, considered a leading institution of higher education in the Arab Gulf region and Middle East, offers a number of academic programs in a vast array of specializations, including the arts, humanities and social sciences, medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, health sciences, engineering, applied sciences, business management, communication, law, Sharia and Islamic studies, and fine arts and design. Endowed with a beautiful campus and world-class facilities, it attaches the highest importance to providing top education and a distinct university experience to its students.
As a part of the University's vision, it offers comprehensive academic and research programs at the diploma, bachelor, master, and PhD levels, which attract distinguished students from across the UAE, the Arab Gulf countries, and a number of other countries.
A perennial desert environment surrounds the University of Sharjah, located in Sharjah University City. Students, faculty and administrative staff engage in a wide range of year-round recreational, cultural and social activities both in the Emirate of Sharjah and throughout the Emirates since the University is located close to major cities and the beautiful coastlines of Sharjah, Dubai and Ajman.
The University of Sharjah are seeking to appoint an experienced and innovative leader to serve as Dean of the College of Health Sciences, who will provide leadership at a critical stage of the College's expansion of its research and academic programs.
The College was established in 1997, in collaboration with University of McMaster in Canada, and is recognized as a leader in quality and innovative health education in the UAE and the region. Currently, the college offers seven (7) accredited undergraduate bachelor programs, namely: Medical Laboratory Sciences, Medical Diagnostic Imaging, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Health Services Administration, Environmental Health, and Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics. To date, the college has graduated 13 cohorts of students with approximately1160 graduates; some have assumed leadership roles in the UAE and abroad.
For more information about CHS and departments, please visit the University's website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae/en/academics/colleges/healthsciences
SCOPE OF WORK
The Dean of CHS reports directly to the Vice Chancellor of Medical and Health Sciences Colleges. The Dean provides leadership and vision in strategic planning and implementation of programs and leads College development activities. The Dean should possess strong leadership and management skills to lead the integrated management and running of CHS in order to achieve its mission in the areas of education, research, community services and social responsibility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Dean is expected to:
- Create and sustain a strong network outside the College with the aim of facilitating the process of education, training and research activities.
- Establish strategic directives, aims and policies related to the educational process and research activities within the College, and all its departments.
- Represent the University in all matters related to the College at various conferences and symposia outside the University.
- Propose recommendations related to developing the annual budget for the College and implement and oversee these as well as conduct analysis of productivity and effectiveness on a regular basis.
- Propose recommendations related to developing University policies and procedures and participate in this process.
- Coordinate agreements with ministries and relevant bodies within the UAE and abroad.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse community.
- Be an expert in matters dealing with external institutions and organizations as well as international accreditation bodies.
At a minimum, the successful candidate will have:
- An earned doctorate in a Health-related discipline.
- The rank of professor in one of the College's specializations.
- A record of excellence in teaching and research.
- An evidence of active and consistent contributions to his/her field through publishing in internationally peer-reviewed journals and participating at exhibitions and conferences.
- A full command of spoken and written English and preferably Arabic.
- A record of proven leadership and administrative experience in the Health Sciences including successful experience with national accreditation processes.
- Evidence of a strong commitment to a multicultural student body and service to the urban community.
- Ability to plan, develop, and implement new academic programs.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send their CV and cover letter to the below email address or postal address. Please include with your CV the names, phone numbers and email addresses of at least four professional references (including current or most recent employer). Those who are shortlisted for the position will be required to submit official university transcripts.
Applications may be submitted online or by postal mail to:
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Sharjah
P.O. Box 27272
Sharjah – United Arab Emirates
Review of applications for the post will remain open until a successful candidate has been