The University of Sharjah is a nonprofit independent institution of higher education operating under its own Board of Trustees in accordance with the directives of its founder and President, His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammad Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah.
The University of Sharjah aspires to be among the leading universities in the Arab World, recognized internationally for offering comprehensive academic and professional programs of the highest quality, and an international center for study and research. In the pursuit of these goals, the University aims to contribute to the economic and social development of both the Emirate of Sharjah and the wider United Arab Emirates. The University of Sharjah is fully committed to meeting the educational and cultural needs of the Emirate of Sharjah within the framework of its Islamic values and traditions.
Student enrolment at the University of Sharjah currently stands at 14,325 and it employs 6386 full-time faculty members. The University's campus is located within Sharjah University City, just 10 minutes from the Sharjah International Airport and 30 minutes from Dubai International Airport. The University is comprised of five campuses including its four main campuses in Sharjah, Khorfakkan, Kalba and Al Dhaid and two additional campuses in Debba Al Hisn and Meleiha.
The College of Fine Arts and Design was established in 2002 and graduated its first cohort of students in May 2006. The College currently has five undergraduate programs leading to a bachelor of arts in Fine Arts, Interior Architecture and Design, Graphic and Multimedia Design, Jewelry Design, and Fashion Design with Textiles. All students begin their first year in the College's Foundation Program and all courses are taught in English.
For more details about the University, please visit the University's website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae
SCOPE OF WORK
The University is seeking a Dean for its College of Fine Arts and Design to commence work at the beginning of the academic year 2017/2018. The Dean reports to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and provides support for the mission and goals of the University of Sharjah as well as academic and administrative leadership for all programs within the College. The Dean further promotes excellence in teaching, scholarly research, and University and community service.
The Dean of the College is expected to demonstrate strong leadership and management skills in addition to vision, imagination and the ability to develop collaborative and interdisciplinary relationships with other local regional, national, and international institutions and organizations in order to advocate and represent the importance of Fine Arts and Design. Building on Arab, Islamic, and western traditions to further develop the reputation of the College, the Dean will work closely with the educational, creative and cultural sectors in Sharjah, Dubai and the other UAE emirates.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promoting the mission and goals of the College and University.
- Overseeing the work of program coordinators, faculty and staff.
- Overseeing faculty and staff hiring, evaluation, retention, and professional development.
- Overseeing curriculum development, review, and assessment.
- Working collaboratively with the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and other deans to develop academic policies and plan for new facilities and technology.
- Serving on the Deans Council and other governance bodies.
- Fostering external relationships with community organizations and the media.
- Overseeing College committees and nominations to College committees.
- Planning, overseeing, and developing the College's budget(s).
- Leading accreditation initiatives.
- Demonstrating cultural adaptability.
The ideal candidate should be a proven leader with a solid record of teaching and scholarly/creative endeavor. The candidate must show evidence of active and consistent contribution to his/her field through publications in internationally recognized and peer-reviewed journals and through participation at exhibitions, conferences and other forums in addition to possessing the following degree qualifications and professional background:
- A terminal degree (PhD or its equivalent), preferably in one of the disciplines of the College but ideally in Fine Arts, Visual Arts, Creative Arts, Performing Arts, and a demonstrated record of success in higher education administration.
- A proven record of commitment to social engagement as well as significant experience in faculty/staff development and evaluation. Resource management, fund-raising, and strategic planning are preferred skills.
- A full command of spoken and written English. (The ability to speak and/or write in Arabic is desirable but not required).
- A clear vision for the development of higher education in Fine Arts and Design, familiarity with accreditation standards, and the experience to build upon and further develop undergraduate curricula and to establish appropriate new degree courses at the master's level.
- Experience in integrating teaching and learning strategies and program delivery.
- Prior academic leadership and managerial experience at the level of dean/associate dean/program leader or the equivalent, in addition to strong interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate others to work together with a shared vision towards common goals.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and an excellent benefits package. For more details on salaries and benefits, please visit our website at http://www.sharjah.ac.ae
Interested candidates possessing the required experience and qualifications are invited to send a copy of their CV and cover letter to the below website or postal address. Please include with your CV the names, phone numbers and email addresses of at least three professional references (including current or most recent employer). Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their applications by email as attachments. Those who are shortlisted for the post will be required to submit a complete portfolio including their official University transcripts.
Applications may be submitted online or by postal mail to:
Office of the Chancellor
University of Sharjah
P.O. Box 27272
Sharjah - U.A.E.