The University of Sharjah is considered a leading institution of higher education in the Arab Gulf region and Middle East, with an enrollment of approximately 15,000 students and a full-time teaching staff of approximately 650 faculty members. The University includes the following colleges: Sharia and Islamic Studies, Sciences, Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Business Administration, Engineering, Health Sciences, Communication, Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Fine Arts and Design, and the Community College, in addition to the Scientific Research Council which includes three research institutes and the College of Graduate Studies.
Endowed with a beautiful campus and world-class facilities, it attaches the highest importance to providing top education and a distinct university experience to its students. As a part of the University's vision, to be a leading institution of higher education, it offers comprehensive academic and research programs at the diploma, bachelor, master, and PhD levels, which attract distinguished students from across the UAE, the Arab Gulf countries, and a number of other countries.
Located in Sharjah University City, near the city center of Sharjah beautiful coastlines, and the emirates of Ajman and Dubai, students, faculty and administrative staff engage in a wide range of recreational, cultural, social and sports activities throughout the year in the Emirate of Sharjah and other emirates.
The College of Engineering at the University of Sharjah was established in 1997 and has already become recognized as among the region's most prestigious engineering institutions with undergraduate and graduate programs rated among the top. More than 3,000 students are currently enrolled in the college's departments of: Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, Sustainable and Renewable Energy Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Nuclear Engineering. The college also offers a PhD program in Engineering Management and four master's programs in: Civil engineering, Electrical engineering, Computer Engineering and Engineering Management. The college is committed to maintaining its position at the forefront of science and knowledge and to graduating the most qualified and capable engineers in the region so that they may play a role in advancing further the field of engineering, supporting the needs of the local industry, and providing service to the community. The college is also rapidly increasing its research facilities to help meet both the national and regional needs with the aim of becoming an internationally recognized research institution.
The University of Sharjah is currently seeking applications from qualified individuals for the position of the Dean of the College of Engineering, to lead the college and move it to a higher level in teaching and research. The new dean is expected to join the college at the beginning of the academic year 2018/2019.
Candidates interested in the position are encouraged to apply early by submitting their application as soon as possible.
For more information about the college, its departments, and the conditions for applying, please visit the University's website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae
Scope of Work:
The Dean of the College of Engineering is in charge, first and foremost, of the college and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The dean assumes a leadership role in the college and administers, directs, and coordinates all training, teaching, and research activities engaged in by the college. The dean also provides guidance for implementing the college strategic plan and ensures that the college activities coincide with the mission and objectives of the University within the socio-cultural framework of the United Arab Emirates and the Arab Gulf region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Dean is expected to:
- Create and sustain a strong network outside the College with the aim of facilitating the processes of education, training and research.
- Establish strategic directives, aims and policies related to the educational process and research activities within the College and its departments and oversee the implementation of the plan.
- Represent the University in all matters related to the College at various conferences and symposiums outside the University.
- Propose recommendations related to developing and implementing the annual college budget and conduct analyses of productivity and effectiveness on a regular basis.
- Create a network of experts and visiting professors to support the educational and research activities of the college and its sustainability.
- Propose recommendations related to developing University policies and procedures and participate in this process.
- Coordinate agreements with ministries, departments and relevant bodies within the UAE and abroad.
- Possess knowledge of human resources and management concepts as well as higher education practices, policies, and procedures.
- Propose research projects relevant to the region and its development.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse community.
- Possess experience in communicating and networking with relevant institutions with the aim of promoting education and research.
- Be an expert in matters dealing with external institutions and organizations as well as international accreditation bodies.
- A PhD from a recognized university.
- The rank of professor in one of the college's specializations.
- Experience working in an administrative position, preferably as a dean at a recognized university for at least two years.
- A record of excellence in teaching and research, appropriate to the rank of professor in one of the college's specializations.
- Leadership qualities and proven research background in one of the college's specializations.
- A clear vision for developing higher education, in general, and for the College in particular.
- Full familiarity with the credit hour and academic year (semester) system.
- Distinguished administrative experience in the affairs of higher education.
- Experience with the standards of program accreditation by specialized commissions at national education institutions.
- Acumen in the area of human resources and administrative and financial concepts, practices, policies, and procedures.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with large sectors of a diverse community.
- Experience in communicating with universities, professional and academic institutions, associations, unions, companies and business administration institutions and other institutions within the field of education and research.
Priority will be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- Managerial experience and the skills necessary to launch pioneering projects.
- Multi-cultural skills.
- Active participation in reputable organizations.
- Knowledge of the methods of evaluation and related matters.
- Proven documentation of offering support for the achievements of teachers and students.
- Understanding of the latest teaching methods, including the use of technology in the teaching process.
- Demonstration of an interest in the humanities and a commitment to enriching the educational experience of students.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and an excellent benefits package.
For more details on the position, salaries, and benefits, please visit our website at
Interested candidates, possessing the required experience and qualifications, are invited to send their CV and a cover letter, together with the names of three references (including current or most recent employer) to the below email address:
Review of applications will begin on May 1, 2018 and continue until the position is filled with a preference for the selected candidate to begin work in August 2018.