Objective of the Role
To support the Facilities Management and Planning Department in its mission, by leading and managing the implementation of capital construction and major renovation projects on the University of Sharjah's campuses, while utilizing project management best practices and techniques. In addition, ensure timely and cost-effective project delivery, maintaining the required quality, as well as ensure they are consistent with UoS's vision and mission.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish the section's goals and objectives ensuring they are consistent with the departments'. As well as Monitor day-to-day Capital Projects activities and ensure that business processes and workflows are executed correctly and efficiently in order to successfully achieve set goals and objectives.
- Set, implement, and update the Capital Projects Section's processes and procedures as necessary, and ensure that they are in alignment with best practices and UOS's requirements.
- Manage and continuously assess the available resources, and request additional support/expertise when necessary, to avoid impacts on projects' schedules, budgets, or quality.
- Provide leadership to the section' team members, ensure that job tasks are distributed between team members fairly and professionally, build and develop their organizational capabilities, provide them with development opportunities such as training, coaching, etc. As well as report on their performance.
- Commission construction and related services using bidding policies and procedures in place, and oversee formulation of contractual agreements.
- Evaluate project bid offers, and issue bid evaluation reports with key recommendations, including for streamlining and implementing cost-saving/value-engineering, to the Director of FMPD.
- Track and manage projects on the aspects of budget, schedule, procurement, quality, changes, and risk, from the time of procurement, through construction, to occupancy, and closeout.
- Oversee all projects activities, including those of consultants and contractors, and collaborate with the other sections and departments, in order to ensure satisfactory completion, while meeting time, quality, performance, cost, and O&M objectives.
- Lead regular progress meetings and inspections of the projects, and report to the director about projects progress and any necessary modifications of plans.
- Administer outsourced services contracts, and exercise expertise and professional judgment in the reviews and recommendations about change orders, claims and resolution of disputes, while considering their potential impacts/risks on scope, budget, schedule and quality.
- Participate in the preparation of the department's annual budget, collaboration with the director and other heads, and track the section's expenditures and ensuring they are within the limits of the budget.
- Ensure the proper implementation of health and safety regulations as per industry best practices, as well as compliance with regulations, codes, and standards, and with the University's bylaws, and report any matters of concern to the line manager and/or related personnel in order to take action.
- Minimum of bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, or a relevant Engineering discipline.
- 12-14 years of UAE experience in similar role preferably in higher education institutions.
- Master's degree in Project, Construction or Engineering Management, Project Management Professional (PMP) certification, or PRINCE2 Certification is a plus.
- Priority is to UAE Nationals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to prepare professional documents, in both Arabic and English.
- Experience in project management, and in-depth understanding of types and particulars of consultancy and construction contracts.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks, and manage deadlines, often-shifting priorities and emergencies, in a fluidly evolving environment.
- Knowledge of building and utility systems, and of energy and water efficiency and conservation strategies.
- Familiarity with operations, facilities accreditation, and the applicable building regulations, codes, and standards.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of Project Management programs and other software.
- Excellent leadership and decision-making skills.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Analytical and critical thinking.
- Clear presentation skills and ability to influence.
- Ability to work with diverse business units and to quickly adapt and understand key business challenges.
- High integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance.
- Flexibility and ability to function effectively as part of a team.