The University of Sharjah is an independent institution with more than 15,000 students and 630 full-time faculty members. The University of Sharjah is considered one of the leading institutions of higher education in the Arab Gulf region and Middle East. It offers academic programs in a number of specializations, including arts, humanities and social sciences, the medical specialties, health sciences, engineering, applied sciences, business administration, communication, law, sharia and Islamic studies, and fine arts and design.
The University offers a prime location and state-of-the-art facilities where it is located in Sharjah University City, close to Sharjah City Center and the pristine coastal areas of Sharjah and the Emirates of Dubai and Ajman.
The University of Sharjah attracts outstanding students from the UAE, GCC countries and a number of other Arab and foreign countries.
The College of Law was established in 2001 and includes two departments, the Department of Public Law and the Department of Private Law. In addition to the Bachelor in Law degree, the college offers master's programs in private law, public law, and air and space law and two doctorate programs, one in public law and the other in private law.
The college has three branches in the Emirate of Sharjah in Khorfakkan, Kalba and Al Dhaid. There are over 1,000 students in its bachelor program, 167 students in its master's programs, and 100 students in the two (2) doctorate programs.
The University of Sharjah is pleased to announce the vacancy for the position of Dean of the College of Law. The candidate will assume leadership of the college as it embarks upon the important phase of expanding its academic and research programs.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Dean of the College of Law is the senior official representing the college and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
MANDATE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create and sustain a well-established network outside the college with the aim of facilitating the education process and training/research activities.
- Establish strategic directions/objectives and policies related to the educational process and research activities in the college, and all of its departments, and oversee their application.
- Represent the University in relation to the college at various conferences and symposia outside the University.
- Propose recommendations for developing the annual college budget, implement and oversee the development and implementation processes, and conduct regular productivity and effectiveness analyses.
- Develop a network of visiting professors and experts to support the college's educational and research activities and its sustainability.
- Propose recommendations for the development of University policies and procedures and participate in the process of development.
- Coordinate agreements with relevant ministries, departments, and authorities inside and outside the UAE.
- Possess knowledge of human resources, administrative concepts, and higher education practices, policies and procedures.
- Establish research programs relevant to the region and work to strengthen and promote them.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work actively in a multicultural and diverse community.
- Possess experience in liaising with relevant networks and institutions with the aim of activating educational and research processes.
- Expertise in dealing with foreign institutions/organizations and international accreditation bodies.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
The candidate shall have held academic and professional positions and possess a rich record in teaching and academic rigor at the international level. The candidate shall also demonstrate effective and continuous contributions to his/her fields of specialization in the form of published research in refereed international journals and participation at exhibitions, conferences, and forums, in addition to holding the following professional degrees, qualifications and experience:
- PhD from a recognized university.
- Rank of professor in one of the college specializations.
- Record of distinction in teaching and research, appropriate to the rank of a professor in one of the college specializations.
- Proficiency in English and Arabic writing and speaking (bi-lingual language proficiency).
- Leadership qualities and clear research background in one of the college specializations.
- A clear vision for the development of higher education, in general, and the college in particular.
- Familiarity with the credit-hour system.
- Distinguished administrative experience in higher education affairs, preferably at the level of a dean at a reputable university.
- Experience with the program accreditation standards of specialized entities at national and international educational institutes.
- Knowledge of human resources and administrative and financial concepts, practices and policies.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of departments in a diversified community.
- Experience in communicating with universities, academic and professional institutions, associations, unions, companies, business administration institutions and other institutes focused on education and research.
Priority will be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- Administrative expertise and acumen in launching pioneering programs.
- Skills in dealing with multi-cultures.
- Active participation in prestigious organizations.
- Knowledge of assessment methods and matters.
- Documents making evident the candidate's support for the achievements of faculty members and students.
- An understanding of modern teaching methods, including the use of technology in the teaching process.
- An interest in the humanities and a commitment to enriching the educational experience of students.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and benefits package. For more information, please visit our website at: http//www.sharjah.ac.ae