The University of Sharjah is a nonprofit autonomous institution of higher education, operating under its own Board of Trustees, in accordance with the directives of its President, His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammad Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah.
The University of Sharjah is among the leading universities in the region and is recognized internationally for its comprehensive academic and professional programs of the highest academic standards as well as its ultra-modern science, research, and medical facilities. Endowed with this integrated platform of education, science, medicine and research, the University aims to contribute to the economic and social development of the Emirate of Sharjah and the wider United Arab Emirates and accomplishes this within the socio-cultural framework of the region and in adherence to Islamic values and traditions.
The University currently employs 500 full-time faculty members to serve a student population of over 12,500 students. Its colleges include: Sharia and Islamic Studies, Sciences, Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Business Administration, Engineering, Health Sciences, Communication, Law, Fine Arts and Design, Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Graduate Studies and Research, and the Community College.
The University's main campus is located within Sharjah University City, just 10 minutes from the Sharjah International Airport and 30 minutes from Dubai International Airport. The University is comprised of five campuses including its main campus in Sharjah and branch locations in Khorfakkan, Kalba, Dibba Al-Hisn and Meleiha.
The College of Medicine is part of the University of Sharjah's renowned Medical and Health Sciences Cluster in Sharjah University City. The Cluster is home to the Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Health Sciences, the Clinical Training Center (CTC) and the Sharjah Surgical Institute (SSI) as well as University Hospital – Sharjah (UHS), which is the first teaching hospital in the UAE. There is an excellent research Centre with state-of-art physical facilities available next to the College. Four hospitals and 6 health centers of the Ministry of Health, UAB are designated as teaching hospitals for students training.
The College follows a Problem-based learning curriculum. The curriculum outcomes competencies and objectives are derived from the UAE community needs. The 6-year MBBS curriculum is divided into 3 phases. Phase-l , Foundation year, an introductory year for to prime students to the medical program. Phase 2(years 2-4), 3 years of pre-clinical phase where students are taught all organ systems with extensive clinical skill training. Phase III (years 5&6) is the clinical phase dedicated to clerkship training in hospitals. The College of Medicine seeks national and international prominence by distinguishing itself through excellence in the full spectrum of medical education at the undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing professional development levels.
The mission of the College of Medicine is to provide education for medical students and medical professionals through the creation of a scholarly environment that fosters excellence in the lifelong goals of education, research and compassionate patient care. The Institution has a distinct and clearly articulated mission that is appropriate to an institution of higher education, focused upon its identity, its educational goals, and the students and communities it wishes to serve. The institution has an appropriate organizational structure that facilitates the accomplishment of its mission
The College of Medicine offers the following degree programs:
- Medical Program: Medical Bachelor and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Master's degree in Molecular Medicine and Translational Research
- Dual Master Program in "Health professions and education leadership and research" in collaboration with the Institute of leadership, Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland.
The College of Medicine programs are fully accredited by the UAE Ministry of Higher Education, and recognized by the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER) in the United States, the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and the World Health Organization (WHO). The College's first cohort of students graduated in May 2010. The College has strategic alliance with medical institutions in the USA, UK, France, Australia, Japan, India and Egypt.
The College of Medicine employs a student-centered educational model. The medical curriculum consists of five years preceded by one foundation year and followed by one year of internship:
Departments in the College of Medicine include: Basic Medical Sciences, Clinical Sciences, and Family & Community Medicine and Behavioral Sciences.
For more details about the University of Sharjah and the College of Medicine, please visit the University's website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae
SCOPE OF WORK
The Dean of the College of Medicine reports directly to the Vice Chancellor of the Medical and Health Sciences Colleges. S/he directs, administers, and coordinates all research and educational and training activities and clinical services related to the College. In cooperation with faculty in the College, s/he develops the strategic directions of the College and furthers its initiatives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Dean is commissioned with the following:
- Providing strategic, academic and visionary leadership, and fostering excellence in teaching, research, and grantsmanship.
- Ensuring the strength and vitality of the Medical College through development, coordination, and support of interdisciplinary research, interprofessional education and clinical practices.
- Maximizing academic, research, and intellectual excellence through recruitment of high quality faculty and staff.
- Fostering an environment of collaboration, fairness, humanism, ethical conduct, integrity and respect.
- Building close and collaborative relationships between the Medical College and its partners in the Medical and Health ciences Cluster.
- Overseeing the responsible planning, management, and accountability of critical resources (capital, human, and fiscal).
- Promoting and supporting innovative and groundbreaking basic science and translational and clinical research.
- Fostering excellence in the Medical College's educational and clinical programs.
- Developing strategies to ensure the College is competitive in attracting outstanding students.
- A medical graduate with a terminal degree (PhD or its equivalent) and the rank of full professor in one of the College's fields.
- Distinguished academic and clinical career experience evidenced by active and consistent contributions to his/her field through publications in internationally recognized and peer-reviewed journals and participation at conferences and other forums.
- Demonstrated commitment to medical education and research excellence as well as competitive funded research success.
- Record of successful senior executive and academic leadership experience, preferably at the level of dean at a reputable university.
- Demonstrated ability to build, manage, and develop a successful team.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and retain faculty and a track record of leveraging investments in faculty and/or programs to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Demonstrated success in enhancing the education or research agenda of an academic unit or program.
- Demonstrated success in the context of shared governance and collaborative decision making with multiple stakeholders.
- Strength in working across the boundaries of the health profession disciplines to promote and advance interprofessional education and interdisciplinary research.
- A broad range of experience in and knowledge of the academic health sciences, health professions, healthcare systems, and the healthcare marketplace.
- A full command of spoken and written English and preferably Arabic.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and an excellent benefits package. For more details about salaries and benefits, please visit our website at: http//www.sharjah.ac.ae
Interested candidates, possessing the required experience and qualifications, are invited to send their CV and cover letter, together with the names of three references (including current or most recent employer), to the below address. Applications may be submitted online or by postal mail to:
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of Sharjah
P.O. Box 27272
Sharjah – United Arab Emirates