The College of Health Sciences (CHS) is located within the UoS Medical Complex, in the vicinity of University Hospital – Sharjah (UHS), the Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy, the Sharjah Institute for Medical Research, the Sharjah Surgical Institute (SSI), and the Clinical Training Centre (CTC), thus enjoying an ideal multi-professional learning environment. The College was established in 1997, in collaboration with McMaster University in Canada, and is recognized as a leader in quality and innovative health education in the UAE and the region. The College aspires to become a leading academic institution in the Middle East and be well recognized worldwide for quality education in health professions, research, and community service. In the pursuit of this vision the college aims to prepare competent, safe, and caring health professionals through educational programs that emphasize state-of-the-art practice and current scientific knowledge; foster self-directed learning, critical thinking, and innovation; encourage community-oriented research; promote interdisciplinary collaboration; and build professional identity and commitment. Currently, the college offers 7 accredited undergraduate bachelor programs, namely: Medical Laboratory Sciences, Medical Diagnostic Imaging, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Health Services Administration, Environmental Health, and Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics.
To date, the College has graduated 13 cohorts of students (approximately 1160 graduates); some have assumed leadership roles in the UAE and abroad. With substantial growth evident in the past and the strength of resources, CHS promises a bright future and is proposing to introduce postgraduate studies in the near future.
For more details about the University, please visit the University’s website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae
For more details about the College of Health Sciences, please visit its website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae/en/academics/colleges/healthsciences
SCOPE OF WORK
The Dean of the College of Health Sciences reports directly to the Vice Chancellor of Medical and Health Sciences Colleges; directs, administers, and coordinates all educational, training, and research activities related to the College; develops strategic directions for the College, in cooperation with the faculty; creates and furthers the initiatives of the College; and integrates programs and activities within its socio-cultural framework to serve the health needs of the UAE and region. The Dean should possess strong leadership and management skills to lead the integrated management and running of CHS in order to achieve its mission in the areas of education, research, community services and social responsibility.
The ideal candidate should be a proven academic and professional leader with a solid record of teaching, scholarly endeavor and international standing. The candidate must show evidence of active and consistent contributions to his/her field through publishing in internationally recognized and peer-reviewed journals and participating at exhibitions, conferences and other forums, in addition to possessing the following qualifications and professional experience:
- A terminal academic degree, terminal professional qualification, and the rank of full professor in one of the College’s fields.
- Experience in a senior academic leadership position as the dean or director of a program at a reputable University, and having in-depth knowledge directly related to the accreditation process in the field of higher education.
- A clear vision for the development of higher education, in general, and the College in particular.
- Knowledge of human resources and management and financial concepts, practices, policies, and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Experience in networking and liaising with universities, professional institutes, health associations, business administration networks and establishments, and other related institutions in the interest of promoting education and research.
- A full command of spoken and written English and preferably Arabic.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and an excellent benefits package. For more details on salaries and benefits, please visit our website at: http//www.sharjah.ac.ae
Interested candidates possessing the required experience and qualifications are invited to send their CV and cover letter to the below website or postal address. Please include with your CV the names, phone numbers and email addresses of at least four professional references (including current or most recent employer). Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their applications by email as attachments. Those who are shortlisted for the position will be required to submit official university transcripts.
Applications may be submitted by email to the Human Resources Department or by postal mail along with the following:
1. Cover letter explaining the applicant’s interest and suitability for the position.
2. Full CV.
Human Resources Department
University of Sharjah
P.O. Box 27272
Sharjah - U.A.E
Review of applications for the post will remain open until a successful candidate has been selected.