The University of Sharjah is a nonprofit independent institution of higher education operating under its own Board of Trustees in accordance with the directives of its founder and President, His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammad Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah. It aspires to be among the leading universities in the Arab World, recognized internationally for offering comprehensive academic and professional programs of the highest quality and as an international center for study and research. In pursuit of these goals, the University aims to contribute to the economic and social development of both the Emirate of Sharjah and the wider United Arab Emirates. The University of Sharjah is fully committed to meeting the educational and cultural needs of the Emirate of Sharjah within the framework of its Islamic values and traditions.
Student enrolment at the University of Sharjah currently exceeds 13000 students and the University employs over 550 full-time faculty members. The University's campus is located within Sharjah University City, just 10 minutes from Sharjah International Airport and 30 minutes from Dubai International Airport. The University is comprised of five campuses, including its three main campuses in Sharjah, Khorfakkan and Kalba and two additional campuses in Debba Al Hisn and Meleiha.
The College of Dental Medicine is located on the main campus at the University of Sharjah within the Sharjah Medical Excellence Cluster (SMEC) alongside the College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy, College of Health Sciences, University Hospital – Sharjah (UHS), University Dental Hospital – Sharjah (UHDS) and other medical and research centers. This diverse setting provides students and faculty in the College a multi-professional educational environment and numerous educational and training opportunities.
The College of Dental Medicine began in year 2004 and offers a six-year program, which begins with a foundation year. With an intake of 100 students annually, the College embraces an integrated and problem-based educational philosophy and utilizes a blend between traditional and modern teaching-learning approaches that place a great deal of emphasis on the out-come competencies of its graduates. The College curriculum introduces clinical experience at an early phase of the program and emphasizes a holistic approach to patient care. Students in the College receive training at University Dental Hospital – Sharjah (UDHS), which is an ultra-modern facility with state-of-the-art dental and biomedical technology to support multidisciplinary world-class dental services under one roof. The first class of dental students graduated in the year 2010 and the College has quickly gained international acclaim for its internship program which employs first-year dentists.
For more details about the University, please visit the University's website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae
Scope of Work
The Dean of the College of Dental Medicine reports directly to the Vice Chancellor of the Medical Colleges and College of Health Sciences. He/she directs, administers, and coordinates all research and educational and training activities as well as clinical services related to the College and UDHS; develops strategic directions for the College and UDHS in cooperation with the faculty, creates and furthers the initiatives of the College, and integrates the activities of UHDS within the socio-cultural framework to serve the oral health needs of the UAE and region.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Dean of the College of Dental Medicine shall have strong leadership and management skills to lead the integrated management and administration of the College and UDHS to achieve their educational, research and community mission. This is achieved through:
- Creating and maintaining a strong academic and professional network outside the College to facilitate education, training, research and community services.
- Establishing and supervising the implementation of strategic directions, goals, objectives and policies in relation to education and research within the College and College departments and that of UHDS.
- Representing the University in the oral health field through various forums outside the University.
- Recommending and supervising the development and implementation of the annual budgets for the College and UHDS and performing periodic productivity and effectiveness analyses.
- Developing and maintaining a network of adjunct professors and visiting academics and professionals to support the College in research and educational activities.
- Recommending and participating in the development of University policies and procedures.
- Maintaining the highest standards of dental education delivered based on contemporary global requirements.
- Ensuring the highest standards of patient-care services delivered based on contemporary safety standards and care.
- Mentoring faculty and staff and engaging them in effective and successful teamwork.
- Fostering and creating continuous professional development programs relevant to the region's needs.
The ideal candidate shall be a proven academic and professional leader with a solid record of teaching and demonstrated scholarly endeavor of international reach. The candidate must show evidence of active and consistent contributions to his/her field through publications in internationally recognized and peer-reviewed journals and through participation at exhibitions, conferences and other forums, in addition to possessing the following degree qualifications and professional background:
A terminal academic degree and terminal professional qualification (equivalent to Board Certification or that of the Fellowship of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons or other internationally recognized professional colleges) and the rank of full professor in one of the College's disciplines.
- Experience in a senior academic leadership position as a dean or director of a program at a reputable university and wide knowledge and direct involvement in higher education accreditation standards.
- Significant experience in dental education and a sound understanding of integrated and problem-based teaching methods, learning through discovery, student-centered and self-directed learning and theme-based dental teaching of modules/streams.
- Experience in a senior clinical management position as a clinical director in a dental hospital or dental center, understanding of ethics and medical laws and wide knowledge and direct involvement in the hospital accreditation process, particularly related to North American hospital accreditation standards.
- A proven record of commitment to social engagement as well as significant experience in faculty/staff development and evaluation.
- Knowledge of human resources and management and financial concepts, practices, policies, and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Experience in communication with universities, professional institutes, medical associations, business administration networks and establishments and other institutions fostering education, research and patient care.
- A full command of spoken and written English and preferably Arabic.
- Experience with both the credit-hour system and the annual academic program system.
- A clear vision for the development of higher education, in general, and the College in particular.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and an excellent benefits package. For more details on salaries and benefits, please visit our website at: http//www.sharjah.ac.ae
Interested candidates possessing the required experience and qualifications are invited to send their CV and cover letter to the below email or postal address. Please include with your CV the names, phone numbers and email addresses of at least four professional references (including current or most recent employer). Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their applications by email as attachments. Those who are shortlisted for the position will be required to submit official university transcripts. Applications may be submitted by email to or by postal mail along with the following:1. Cover letter explaining the applicant’s interest and suitability for the position.2. Full CV.
Postal Address: University of Sharjah, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, P.O. Box 27272 Sharjah - U.A.E . Review of applications for the post will remain open until a successful candidate has been selected.