The University of Sharjah is considered as one of the leading institutions of higher education in the Arab Gulf and Middle East, offering over 80 academic programs in a vast array of specializations including the arts, humanities and social sciences, medicine, dentistry and pharmacy, health sciences, engineering, applied sciences, business management, communication, law, Sharia and Islamic studies, and fine arts and design. It is endowed with a beautiful campus and state-of-the-art facilities of international standards and attaches the highest of importance to providing top education and the best possible university experience to its students. As a part of the University's vision, it offers comprehensive academic and research programs at the diploma, bachelor, master and PhD levels, which attract distinguished students from across the UAE, the Arab Gulf countries and a number of other countries.
The University of Sharjah is located in Sharjah University City amid a peaceful perennial desert environment. Students, faculty and staff engage in a wide range of year-round recreational, cultural and social activities, both in the Emirate of Sharjah and throughout the Emirates, since it is located close to major cities and the beautiful coastlines of Sharjah, Dubai and Ajman.
The University of Sharjah currently has available the position of Dean of Academic Support Services.
Scope of Work
The Dean of Academic Services seeks to realize the vision, mission and objectives of the University of Sharjah through managing and developing academic support centers and departments, which include: libraries, IT Center, Central Labs, Registration and Admission departments. The goal of the deanship is to provide support services for faculty and students in the University so that they meet the requirements of the University's many programs and activities.
The position of Dean of Academic Support Services is considered a senior leadership position at the University because of the many centers, departments and units that fall under the Dean's authority.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervising the administration of the University's centers, departments and units and evaluating them on a continuous basis.
- Overseeing the implementation of admissions policies and following up on all procedures related to the admission of new students and students transferring within the University or from other universities in accordance with the University's by-laws and regulations.
- Overseeing the registration of students for all University specializations and majors by the deadlines specified in the academic calendar, and approved by the Deans Council, in accordance with the registration by-laws and regulations.
- Overseeing the evaluation and full planning for the University's libraries.
- Supervising the overall work of the IT Center and evaluating it.
- Overseeing the University's web pages.
- Planning and evaluating, on an ongoing basis, the role of IT in academic and administrative matters.
- Supervising the work of the Central Laboratories and evaluating it.
- Coordinating with the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Vice Chancellor of the Medical Colleges in matters related to their authority.
- Approving the budgets of the centers, departments and units subject to the Dean and forwarding these to the Chancellor.
- Any other matters commissioned by the Chancellor.
The ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
A PhD and the rank of at least an associate professor in one of the science specializations or engineering.
- Full proficiency in the English and Arabic languages, in both speaking and writing.
- A clear vision for developing and improving the performance of various support service units and departments in the University.
- A comprehensive background and excellent skills in information technology.
Interested candidates, possessing the required experience and qualifications, are invited to send their CV and cover letter, together with the names of three references (including current or most recent employer), to the below address. Applications may be submitted online or by postal mail to:
Office of the Chancellor
University of Sharjah
P.O. Box 27272
Sharjah – United Arab Emirates
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and an excellent benefits package. For more details on salaries and benefits, please visit our website at: http//www.sharjah.ac.ae
Review of applications will begin on 15 Marche 2015 and continue until the position is filled. It is preferred for the selected candidate to begin work in August 2015.