The University of Sharjah is an independent institution with more than 15,300 students and over 651 full-time faculty members. The University of Sharjah is considered one of the leading institutions of higher education in the Arab Gulf region and Middle East. It offers academic programs in a number of specializations, including arts, humanities and social sciences, the medical specialties, health sciences, engineering, applied sciences, business administration, communication, law, sharia and Islamic studies, fine arts and design and Computing And Informatics.
The University offers a prime location and state-of-the-art facilities where it is located in Sharjah University City, close to Sharjah City Center and the pristine coastal areas of Sharjah and the Emirates of Dubai and Ajman.
The University of Sharjah attracts outstanding students from the UAE, GCC countries and a number of other Arab and foreign countries.
The College of Health Sciences was established in 1997, in collaboration with University of McMaster in Canada, and is recognized as a leader in quality and innovative health education in the UAE and the region. Currently, the college offers seven (7) accredited undergraduate bachelor programs, namely: Medical Laboratory Sciences, Medical Diagnostic Imaging, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Health Services Administration, Environmental Health, and Clinical Nutrition & Dietetics. To date, the college has graduated 13 cohorts of students with approximately 1160 graduates; some have assumed leadership roles in the UAE and abroad.
The University of Sharjah are seeking to appoint an experienced and innovative leader to serve as Dean of the College of Health Sciences, who will provide leadership at a critical stage of the College's expansion of its research and academic programs. The new Dean is expected to join the College at the beginning of the spring semester 2019/2020.
For more information about CHS and departments, please visit the University's website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae/en/academics/colleges/healthsciences
SCOPE OF WORK
The Dean of CHS reports directly to the Vice Chancellor of Medical and Health Sciences Colleges. The Dean provides leadership and vision in strategic planning and implementation of programs and leads College development activities. The Dean should possess strong leadership and management skills to lead the integrated management and running of CHS in order to achieve its mission in the areas of education, research, community services and social responsibility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Dean is expected to:
- Create and sustain a strong network outside the College with the aim of facilitating the process of education, training and research activities.
- Establish strategic directives, aims and policies related to the educational process and research activities within the College, and all its departments.
- Represent the University in all matters related to the College at various conferences and symposia outside the University.
- Propose recommendations related to developing the annual budget for the College and implement and oversee these as well as conduct analysis of productivity and effectiveness on a regular basis.
- Propose recommendations related to developing University policies and procedures and participate in this process.
- Coordinate agreements with ministries and relevant bodies within the UAE and abroad.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse community.
- Be an expert in matters dealing with external institutions and organizations as well as international accreditation bodies.
At a minimum, the successful candidate will have:
- An earned doctorate in a Health-related discipline.
- The rank of professor in one of the College's specializations.
- A record of excellence in teaching and research.
- An evidence of active and consistent contributions to his/her field through publishing in internationally peer-reviewed journals and participating at exhibitions and conferences.
- A full command of spoken and written English and preferably Arabic.
- A record of proven leadership and administrative experience in the Health Sciences including successful experience with national accreditation processes.
- Evidence of a strong commitment to a multicultural student body and service to the urban community.
- Ability to plan, develop, and implement new academic programs.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and an excellent benefits package. For more details on the position, please visit our website at: http://www.sharjah.ac.ae